Recently, while sorting through boxes, Sarah found an old journal with guidelines written long ago for her daughter. These guidelines (rules!) are well-considered and a valued contribution to the work we are collecting on Into the Bardo. We’ve taken them to heart and are pleased to have Sarah’s permission to share them with our valued readers and contributing writers. J.D.
SARAH’S RULES TO LIVE BY
- Take care of your body! You only have one. It’s important to keep it healthy.
- Always be actively involved in your own medical care and in the medical care for your family. Never let the doctor have the final decisions that are yours to make.
- Take care of yourself and your family FIRST. Never let your work interfere with your family.
- Never be intimate with someone you don’t care about. Remember that sex involves responsibility to the other person.
- Don’t be wasteful. Waste is wrong. Don’t waste time, money, or resources.
- Don’t spend time with people who are unhealthy or destructive. Get away from people who pollute their environment.
- Trust yourself. Don’t let others tell you not to follow your own path.
- Love and accept yourself for who you are – as you are.
- ENJOY LIFE! BE HAPPY!
© 2012, list, Sarah Deen, All rights reserved
Photo credit ~ Flower and bud of a yellow chamomile by Alvesgaspar via Wikipedia licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 unported
SARA DEEN ~ is a mother, grandmother, and artist living in the San Francisco Bay Area. She is a personal friend of ours and much admired for her spirit, humor, and wonderful home cooking.